I think a pure number like 7.0, 7.5 and 7.8 should be preferred. It should be clear, that we are talking about windows phone. Since I do not have enought reputation to suggest tag synonyms nor create tags and I did not found a question here on meta regarding this topic, I want to discuss this with you.
Reform the tags
Here are my suggestions:
- All questions regarding a specific OS should go to wp7 and wp8
- Questions regarding a specific update should go to 7.5, 7.8, ...
And for the existing tags, I think, some should be renamed:
- 7.5-mango > 7.5
- wp7.5 > 7.5
- 7.x > windows-phone-7 2
- wp8 > windows-phone-8
- 8.0-apollo > windows-phone-8
Windows Phone version numbers
There has been some confusion about versions in the comments an the answers. This should only be a little note on version numbers for Windows Phone, leading me towards the previously described proposal:
Actually there are three ways to describe a version:
- The "official" or "end-user" version number (e.g. 7.5, 7.8)
- The codename (mango, tango, apollo, NoDo, ...)
- The "internal" version number (e.g. 7.10.8862.144 for WP 7.8 - note that the internal number actually starts with 7.10!)
I think, we should only focus on the first two points, because they are what's actually provided to the end-user. The update 7.8 actually consists out of multiple updates (at least 3 for me) and one bug fix. The latest version is 7.10.8862.144 and is the only one provided in the version history below. Mango or 7.5 also required multiple updates. However there's allways a change in the minor version number. I think this is what we should focus on. The codenames as tag synonyms and the official version number as usual tags.